DESCRIBES MEDIA AS PARTNERS IN ABUJA PROJECT
- The Minister, Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello has described members of the press as worthy partners in the Abuja Project.
- Malam Bello who stated this while inaugurating the newly elected executives of the FCT Ministers’ Press Corp on Tuesday, August 25, 2020, said he always relied on the support and cooperation of the Press Corp in the discharge of his duties as Minister.
- His words: “There is no doubt, if there is any agency or part of the wider FCT Administration family that has really helped me in this onerous job of working as the FCT Minister, I think it is the FCT Minister’s Press Corps. All of you have been partners in all the things we have done through your leadership because I’ve been able to receive very important feedback and communication from all of you through your leadership and I thank you very much indeed”.
- The Minister commended members of the Press Corp, particularly the newly elected Chairman, Mr. Ikharo Attah, whom, he said, has always been available whenever he was called upon to serve. He also commended Attah’s leadership of the Press Corps and said his activities has been the pride of the FCT Administration.
- He also expressed appreciation for the fair reportage enjoyed by the FCT Administration saying “You have projected the Administration very fairly you have defended the Administration also very fairly. More importantly, you have also been able to disabuse the misconceptions when they arise from time to time and for that, we are thankful”.
- In his acceptance speech, Ikharo Attah assured the FCT Minister that the Press Corps will report the activities of the Administration fairly and objectively. He said “ Our assurance, we can give to FCTA, we will report you very fairly, very objectively and very balanced. And I want to say we are extremely grateful and I hope and pray that as we go through this journey, at the end of time, we would sit down again, celebrate and rejoice”
- Speaking at the occasion, the Chairman, FCT Council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Comrade Emmanuel Ogbeche urged the newly elected executives to “continue to hold the beacon of professional reportage, adding, “There is nothing wrong in being a developmental journalist and also holding government accountable because this is a constitutional mandate, chapter 22 of the 1999 Constitution as amended”.
- Earlier, the Chairman, transition committee for the election, Mr. Sam Ogbeifun stressed the need for journalists to partner with government for overall development
- Present at the Swearing –in ceremony which was performed by the Solicitor General of the FCTA, Barr. Yusuf Wodi were the Permanent Secretary, FCTA, Sir Chinyeaka Ohaa, Chief of Staff to the FCT Minister, Malam Bashir Mai-Bornu. Executive Secretary of the FCDA, Engr Umar Gambo Jibrin, the Director Human Resources Department of the FCTA Dr Mohammed Bashir and other staff of the FCTA.
CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY